2Life Communities is seeking a Senior Real Estate Project Manager to join our creative and successful Real Estate Team. We develop innovative housing solutions for older adults, and campuses that help people age affordably and live well. We are looking for a mission driven, experienced professional to join our community of leaders in policy, innovation, and real estate development.
The Organization and Its Accomplishments
2Life Communities is a well-established non-profit provider of senior supportive housing in the Greater Boston area. Formed in 1965 (originally as Jewish Community Housing for Elderly), 2Life celebrated its 50th year in 2015. We passionately believe that every older adult should have the opportunity to live a full life of connection and purpose in a dynamic and supportive environment, no matter their income. That’s why we build vibrant communities for older adults with a laser-sharp focus on affordability and promote aging in community as a first choice.
2Life is a financially sound organization with a well-respected leadership team. We employ over 170 people, including property management and resident service staff. Our role in every aspect of development, service delivery, property ownership and management, and deep organizational experience means we provide each function with great skill, sensitivity and coordination.
We provide superior housing and services, welcoming seniors from all backgrounds on our five campuses with over 1,300 apartments in metropolitan Boston in urban and suburban communities. Our developments are broadly affordable and offer unique and comprehensive support services to meet our residents’ needs as they age.
Real Estate Development at 2Life Communities
Bricks and mortar are just the foundation – each of our projects seek new and creative ways to promote aging in community and the real estate team leads this creative endeavor, including working with mission-based program and financial partners. The Real Estate Team consists of five full-time professionals. We have completed over $250 million in new construction and comprehensive renovation projects over the past five years, with over $200 million in our active pipeline. We expect to add more than 200 apartments to our portfolio by 2022 at two sites including the redevelopment of a senior federal public housing property, and the expansion of the Golda Meir campus in Newton, with 3 additional projects in our active subsidized pipeline. We are also in the process of permitting a 175-unit campus for moderate income seniors, called OPUS. This groundbreaking work is a creative approach to providing aging in community options for seniors who are over-income for housing with government subsidies but do not make enough to afford market rate options. 2Life’s goal is to double our portfolio over the next 10 to 15 years.
The 2Life Real Estate Team is uniquely collaborative in its approach to project management. We work closely with each other, and with 2Life’s staff in Finance, Facilities, Property Management, Compliance, Resident Services, and Programs, to lay the foundation for successful long-term project operations. The Senior Project Manager will report to the Director of Real Estate Innovation. They will embrace our mission and work collaboratively to facilitate the highest of standards for senior housing development and operations.
Responsibilities of the Senior Project Manager
The Senior Project Manager will have shared responsibility for a portfolio of affordable supportive housing projects. They will lead the development of at least two real estate projects through construction completion and transition to operations. The Senior Project Manager will:
- Collaborate with 2Life’s program staff to seek, secure and manage relationships with prospective program and service providers during the development phase in order to accomplish desired program goals.
- Lead project teams, including 2Life staff and consultants, utilizing best practices, meeting diversity and inclusion goals, supporting transparency and information sharing, and encouraging buy-in through collaborative decision-making whenever possible and practical.
- Take projects through zoning and permitting, including managing community relations.
- Prepare and manage complex development proformas and funding applications, securing predevelopment, construction and permanent financing.
- Manage financial closings, relationships with financial partners, and compliance with financing requirements during construction period.
- Work with 2Life’s facilities team to manage construction, including the coordination of internal stakeholder input and the management of 2Life’s contracts with the owner’s representative, architect, and contractor.
- Prepare regular updates and reports to 2Life’s staff, Board of Directors, and Real Estate Committee as may be required, including establishing and managing a project subcommittee for each project.
- Support 2Life’s effort to integrate innovative programs and populations into 2Life’s real estate projects, creating partnerships with senior service providers and leveraging investments from public and private healthcare institutions and insurers.
- Represent 2Life at public events and on external committees that benefit 2Life’s real estate activities and support career growth and learning.
- Complete other duties as requested and assigned.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, flexible, and team driven individual. They will appreciate the opportunities to work on a small, efficient team committed to helping one another succeed. They will have many of the following skills and experiences:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field or the equivalent in training and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in real estate project management or a related field.
- Ability to adhere to sound not for profit real estate development principles, so that projects are highly innovative and successfully balance mission, feasibility, and risk.
- Strong project management skills, with proven ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines with attention to detail.
- Experience with various affordable housing funding programs, such as the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), HOME, CPA, CDBG, Section 8, and Section 202, and a proven track record in securing such funding for projects.
- Demonstrated experience creating and managing a complex development proforma, preferably for a LIHTC-funded affordable housing project.
- Exceptional interpersonal, writing and verbal communication skills, including confidence to serve as an external voice for 2Life’s projects and mission.
- Experience designing and facilitating meetings and managing working groups.
- Resourcefulness and resilience; with the creativity and adaptability to find multiple paths and solutions to solve problems and overcome challenges.
- Proven ability to adapt to a changing environment and work effectively under pressure.
- Work well with a variety of personalities in a team-oriented structure.
- Able to travel within Massachusetts and attend early morning and evening meetings.
The Selection Process
Please submit a cover letter detailing your interest and your qualifications for this position, along with a resume to: http://annlsilverman.com/2lifeseniorprojectmanager/. No phone calls or letters please.
Questions can be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed and acknowledged as they are received. 2Life seeks to fill this position by late fall of 2020.
2Life Communities is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds and cultures. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits.