Position Title: Senior Project Manager
Reports To: Director of Real Estate Innovation
FLSA Classification: Exempt
2Life Communities provides superior housing to older adults of all backgrounds who can thrive independently within a supportive environment. We are a mission driven organization with a vision whereby all older adults have the opportunity to age in community – to live a full life of connection and purpose in a dynamic and supportive environment. We are continually evolving support services to meet the needs of our diverse resident as they age; we partner with health care providers to identify innovative ways to support residents’ overall health and well-being; and we engage with the broader community through our Village Center program. We have four campuses in metropolitan Boston and plans for additional housing for older adults in the near future.
2Life has a Real Estate Department (RED) of five full-time professionals dedicated to managing new construction and comprehensive renovation projects. Over the past five years, the Department has competed projects totaling over $250 million in development costs with another $200 million in the pipeline. The RED team is uniquely collaborative in its approach to project management and works closely with 2Life staff in Finance, Property Management, Compliance, Resident Services, and Programs throughout the programming, design, financing and lease-up process to lay the foundation for successful operations. As a whole, 2Life has approximately 170 staff across its four (soon to be five) locations, most of whom work for our property management company.
The Senior Project Manager reports to the Director of Real Estate Innovation (DREI) and is a member of the DREI’s team which is responsible for a portfolio of affordable supported housing projects. In addition to taking the lead in management of at least two real estate projects (TBD), this position works in collaboration with the RED team on assigned tasks to advance all projects that are part of the 2Life’s real estate development portfolio.
This position is expected to adhere to a flexible, creative and team-driven approach to real estate development and is responsible for maintaining collaborative relationships by leading project teams for all projects, including consultants, board members, volunteers and representatives from 2Life’s Operating, Maintenance, Compliance, Capital, Finance, Accounting, Resident Services and Fund Development staff. The Senior Project Manager will participate in all RED team meetings and activities focused on advancing 2Life’s mission to preserve and expand the portfolio, and provide all materials required to allow the Chief of Real Estate and Innovation to support the 2Life Real Estate Development Committee and 2Life Board.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS*
- Manage a complex development portfolio of between 2 and 3 projects in different phases of development; manage all project related development activities on assigned projects up to and including the transition to 2Life’s operating staff at construction completion.
- Manage the acquisition of land or buildings.
- Manage the establishment of a development program and design for projects.
- In collaboration with 2Life’s program staff, seek, secure and manage relationships with prospective program and service providers during the development phase to accomplish desired program goals.
- Identify, assess and select contract service providers including, but not limited to, development consultants, financial consultants, marketing professionals, architects, engineers, general contractors, lawyers, and owner’s representatives.
- Lead a team of 2Life staff and consultants for each project to utilize best practices, diversity and inclusion goals, support transparency and information sharing and encourage buy-in through collaborative decision-making whenever possible and practical.
- Manage third party documentation including appraisals, geotechnical investigations, environmental testing and remediation, traffic and market studies.
- Work with 2Life’s Senior Team to lead projects through zoning and permitting, including managing community relations.
- Manage the preparation of project budgets and funding applications and secure pre-development, construction and permanent financing.
- Manage financial closings and relationships with financial partners and compliance with financing requirements during construction period.
- Work with 2Life’s Director of Facilities to oversee construction, including coordination of stakeholders in decisions and management of 2Life’s contract with the owner’s representative, architect and contractor; oversee budgets and schedules, processing of change orders and coordination with 2Life’s operating staff. Work with 2Life’s Finance staff on requisitions, preparation of financial reports and cost certifications. Communicate with abutters and troubleshoot problems.
- Manage communications and provide information for the Board of Directors, Board Committees and Subcommittees for required for projects.
- Prepare periodic updates for 2Life’s staff coordinating committee and quarterly updates for 2Life’s Real Estate Committee for required projects.
- Establish and manage a project subcommittee for each project and prepare analysis and provide information such that the committee can exercise its governing responsibility on behalf of the Real Estate Committee and Board of Directors.
- Work in collaboration with the DREI on assigned tasks to advance all projects that are part of the RED team’s portfolio.
- Support 2Life’s effort to integrate innovative programs and populations into 2Life’s real estate projects.
- Support RED team in creating partnerships with senior service providers and leveraging investments from public and private healthcare institutions and insurers.
- Represent 2Life at public events and on external committees that benefit 2Life’s real estate activities and support career growth and learning.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Other related duties as assigned.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Master’s degree in relevant field or equivalent training;
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in real estate project management;
- Ability to adhere to sound not for profit real estate development principles so that projects are highly innovative and successfully balance mission, feasibility and risk;
- Strong project management skills with proven ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines with attention to detail in a demanding environment;
- Experience with various affordable housing funding programs such as the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), HOME, CPA, CDBG, Section 8, and Section 202 and proven track record in securing such funding for projects;
- Ability to create and manage a complex development pro forma, preferably for an LIHTC-funded affordable housing project;
- Exceptional interpersonal, writing and verbal communication skills, with the ability to serve as an external voice for 2Life’s projects and mission;
- Experience designing and facilitating meetings and managing working groups;
- Resourcefulness and resiliency; with the creativity and adaptability to find multiple paths and solutions to solve problems and overcome challenges;
- Proven ability to adapt to a changing environment and work effectively in pressure situations; demonstrated ability to work well with a variety of personalities in a team-oriented structure;
- Ability to travel within Massachusetts and attend early morning and evening meetings.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Normal office environment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.