Position Title: Prep Cook (Third Cook)
Campus: Shillman House, Framingham
Part-time (32 hours per week), benefits eligible
2Life Communities provides superior housing to older adults of all backgrounds who can thrive independently within a supportive environment. We are a mission-driven organization with a vision whereby all older adults have the opportunity to age in a community, to live a whole life of connection and purpose in a dynamic and supportive environment. Inspired by Jewish values, 2Life welcomes seniors from all backgrounds and enables aging in communities of engagement, connection, and purpose.
Join an organization that truly values its passionate, talented team. We’re committed to supporting your health and well-being and your professional development. We believe by making 2Life a great place to work, you can focus on making 2Life a great place to live for our seniors.
Food preparation is usually the first and longest step in the process. It starts with ensuring the work area is clean and sanitized and ends with all the ingredients thoroughly washed, chopped, and ready for cooking, produced for the next day, and correctly labeled and stored. In this role, you will prepare cooking ingredients by washing and chopping vegetables, cutting meat, and other meal prep. Set up workstations and components so that food can be prepared according to recipes and prepare yourself and your team for the following day’s meals. This role reports to the Dining Services Manager/Chef Manager.
Here at 2Life, we also offer a very rich benefit plan which for individuals adds 27% on top of the base pay and over 30% for employee +1 and families. Our rewards program includes but not limited to:
- Robust medical and dental plan
- Employer-paid life and AD&D, STD, and LTD insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Paid vacation
- Paid holidays
- 2 floating holidays
- And more!
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS*
- Assist with kitchen duties
- Assist with preparation of meals and catering orders
- Package meals
- Produce entrees, side dishes, and sandwiches
- Assist with writing daily menu
- Help to ensure that all food and supply orders are received and stored promptly
- Serve dinner from line
- Clean kitchen and service area after production
- Assist with the cleaning of the kitchen as needed. Washing pots and pans, sweeping and washing floors, cleaning ovens, carts, and wherever else needs to be cleaned.
- Stock shelves in the storage room and refrigerator and freezer after deliveries
- Maintain a high standard of sanitation
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Other duties as assigned
- Cover different cook positions when needed
- Shillman House location-specific: Assist with breakfast preparation. Communicate with site representative or Chef Manager regarding breakfast service.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Six months to 1-year experience preparing, cooking, and serving restaurant quality foods, will train
- A willingness to learn and follow Kosher laws
- Must be ServeSafe certified or willing to become certified
- Have the ability to work independently at times
- Must be proficient in English
- Be flexible and a team player
- Working knowledge of sanitation and food preparation
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Ability to stand for up to 8 hours
- Ability to lift items weighing between10 to 80 pounds
- Constant bending and reaching as high as 8 feet, using step ladder if necessary
- Ability to handle equipment at temperatures as high as 500 degrees
- Ability to handle temperatures as low as ten below zero
- Ability to stand, bent over, washing dishes for up to 5 hours a day
- Will come in contact with knives and other sharp objects
2Life Communities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to inclusive excellence and strives to create the finest affordable housing in the world through the collaboration of diverse, talented individuals. We encourage women, people of color, and applicants from the LGBTQIA+ community to apply.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.