Position Title: Geriatric Fitness & Wellness Intern
Reports To: Director of Fitness & Wellness
Temporary, part-time (30 hours per week
2Life Communities provides superior housing to older adults of all backgrounds who can thrive independently within a supportive environment. We are a mission-driven organization with a vision whereby all older adults have the opportunity to age in a community, to live a whole life of connection and purpose in a dynamic and supportive environment. Inspired by Jewish values, 2Life welcomes seniors from all backgrounds and enables aging in communities of engagement, connection, and purpose.
Join an organization that truly values its passionate, talented team. We’re committed to supporting your health and well-being and your professional development. We believe by making 2Life a great place to work, you can focus on making 2Life a great place to live for our seniors.
The Fitness/Wellness Program engages our residents in a meaningful experience, offering diverse choices of exercise, health & wellness and expressive therapy programs that contribute to healthy aging. The Geriatric Fitness/Wellness Intern will work with our residents in classes and one-on-one sessions to support their fitness goals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS*
- Work with older adults residents in two of 2Lifes campuses- one in the Newton area, one in the Brighton area.
- Teach exercise classes on a daily basis. Classes include balance and strength training, toning and conditioning, weight training and aerobics.
- Work with residents in the Fitness Center at each site on the Keiser strength training equipment, treadmills and other small and large equipment in the gym.
- Work one-on-one with frail residents and those recuperating from surgery/and or falls. Fitness staff will provide all the necessary training for this.
- Intern will be trained to evaluate residents gait, strength and balance, an important requirement for resident gym usage.
- Attend staff meetings, seminars and other related functions as well as field trips to related health sites during work hours.
- Collect data regarding the exercises completed by each tenant, and record the data in the database.
- Conduct nutrition and fitness and wellness research online.
- New initiatives include balance classes, fall prevention, arthritis specialized exercise classes and a Music & Movement exercise class for residents with cognitive and physical impairment.
- Assist with new programs, projects and workshops.
- Other duties as assigned.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- This position requires a collaborative working style and working as a team.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work with older adults.
- Ability to listen, be supportive and non-judgmental.
- Good organizational skills involving the ability to manage time effectively and maintain accurate data.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to type, file or lift office supplies up to 20 pounds. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear.
We encourage qualified candidates to apply here.
2Life Communities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to inclusive excellence and strives to create the finest affordable housing in the world through the collaboration of diverse, talented individuals. We encourage women, people of color, and applicants from the LGBTQIA+ community to apply.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.