Position Title: Maintenance Supervisor
Reports To: Executive Director
2Life Communities provides superior housing to older adults of all backgrounds who can thrive independently within a supportive environment. We are a mission driven organization with a vision whereby all older adults have the opportunity to age in community – to live a full life of connection and purpose in a dynamic and supportive environment. We are continually evolving support services to meet the needs of our diverse resident as they age; we partner with health care providers to identify innovative ways to support residents’ overall health and well-being; and we engage with the broader community through our Village Center program. We have five campuses in metropolitan Boston and plans for additional housing for older adults in the near future.
The Maintenance Supervisor (MS) will be responsible for the operation, maintenance and administration of the physical facilities of Shillman House, ensuring that it is clean and safe at all times. The Maintenance Supervisor will supervise the maintenance staff and contractors working on the property. The Maintenance Supervisor will participate in maintenance activities, conduct periodic inspections of the physical plant, mechanical systems, and grounds, and maintain maintenance records in compliance with 2Life standards and government regulations. The MS will purchase and control the maintenance inventory in a manner that minimizes waste and prevents theft. The MS will oversee the security of the facility, including key control, security equipment maintenance, and parking lot usage. The MS will report on the status of the physical facilities to the Executive Director, and make recommendations for resolving problems and providing improvements to the facility.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS*
- Supervise the maintenance staff and contractors in the facility to ensure that work is to 2Life standards.
- Perform mechanical tasks and repairs or delegate the tasks to the Maintenance Mechanic.
- Set the standard for attendance, appearance and demeanor for all maintenance staff and ensure continued compliance with the standard.
- Ensure the maintenance staff is trained, certified, and licensed.
- Ensure there is a staff person on site 24/7 able to address emergencies.
- Conduct routine inspections of the property according to 2Life standards.
- Prepare vacant units for re-rental in a timely manner.
- Participate in snow removal activities ensuring that the walkways and lots are clear of ice and snow.
- Manage purchase orders for the Executive Director’s approval.
- Develop specifications for hiring contractors.
- Assist the Executive Director in preparing the annual budget and controlling costs.
- Maintain documentation of maintenance activities in conformance with 2Life standards and government regulations.
- Responsible for reporting all accidents, injuries, or safety concerns to the Executive Director.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Minimum of three years of experience as a superintendent in a residential building.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and personnel management skills.
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations.
- Proficiency in the use of a computer in record keeping, communicating, and reporting.
- Knowledge of elevators and high rise buildings systems a must.
- Working knowledge of high efficiency boilers and heating plants.
- Proficiency with plumbing, heating, and HVAC
- Working knowledge of blacksmithing and electrical systems.
- Knowledge of Green Initiatives.
- Ability to learn photovoltaic system basic operation.
- Experience with or ability to learn geothermal systems.
- LEED certification desirable.
- Supervises Shillman Maintenance team
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Frequent standing and walking.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to safely use hand and power tools.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, climb, etc. Must have full use of arms, hands and finger dexterity to reach, lift, pull, push and feel.
- Ability to operate a Bobcat.
- Ability to work outdoors in winter conditions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
2Life Communities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to inclusive excellence and strive to create the finest affordable housing in the world through the collaboration of diverse, talented individuals. We encourage women, people of color, and applicants from the LGBTQI+ community to apply.
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.