Position Title: Maintenance Mechanic III
Reports To: Executive Director
2Life Communities provides superior housing to older adults of all backgrounds who can thrive independently within a supportive environment. We are a mission-driven organization with a vision whereby all older adults have the opportunity to age in the community – to live a full life of connection and purpose in a dynamic and supportive environment. We are continually evolving support services to meet the needs of our diverse residents as they age; we partner with health care providers to identify innovative ways to support residents’ overall health and well-being, and we engage with the broader community through our Village Center program. We have five campuses in metropolitan Boston and plans for additional housing for older adults soon.
The Maintenance Mechanic III (MM III) will be responsible for the operation, maintenance, and administration of the physical facilities of their site, ensuring that it is clean and safe at all times. The MM III will supervise the maintenance staff and contractors working on the property.
The MM III will participate in maintenance activities, conduct periodic inspections of the physical plant, mechanical systems, and grounds, and maintain maintenance records in compliance with 2Life standards and government regulations. The MM III will purchase and control the maintenance inventory in a manner that minimizes waste and prevents theft. The MM III will oversee the security of the facility, including key control, security equipment maintenance, and parking lot usage. The MM III will report on the status of the physical facilities to the Executive Director, and make recommendations for resolving problems and providing improvements to the facility.
The MM III will serve as the maintenance team leader, assigning work to other maintenance staff, ensuring that work orders and turnovers are done on time and to industry standard. The MM III will supervise, coach, and evaluate the other maintenance staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS*
- Interact with residents in a sensitive manner and promptly report any concerns about a resident to the Resident Services Director
- Supervise the maintenance staff and contractors in the facility to ensure that work is to 2Life standards
- Ensure that maintenance staff is properly trained, certified, and licensed. Set the standard for attendance, appearance, demeanor, work safety, and teamwork. Ensure compliance with 2Life standards and HUD, Spectrum, and other regulatory agency standards
- Conduct routine inspections of the entire property; maintain building systems and grounds per 2Life and HUD/REAC standards, including outdoor curb appeal and interior visual appeal. Schedule and perform the annual inspection of all apartment units per 2Life and regulatory requirements.
- Establish and maintain preventive maintenance schedules and repair work priorities and ensure successful completion
- Establish and maintain an inventory management system for all equipment, tools, and maintenance supplies (including key systems) for most efficient use and to prevent waste, loss, and theft
- Develop specifications for hiring contractors, participates in bid procurement in collaboration with Executive Director and 2Life Director of Facilities
- Ensure that there is a staff person on-site 24/7 able to address emergencies: Site Rep when the office is closed; maintenance staff person when offices are open or essential personnel are called in
- Responsible for the monthly and annual pest control inspections and follow-up treatment, immediately follow-up inspection & treatment of any reported pest issues, maintaining all documentation in an orderly fashion
- Working as part of the maintenance team, perform mechanical tasks and repairs or delegate the tasks to a team member
- Ensures that vacant units are prepared for re-rental in a cost-effective and timely manner, per regulatory and 2Life requirements
- Participate in snow removal activities ensuring that the walkways and lots are clear of ice and snow.
- Keep all maintenance areas and systems rooms clean and organized to 2Life and HUD/REAC standards
- Prepare purchase orders for the Executive Director’s approval before committing funds that exceed the Supervisor’s spending authority
- Assist the Executive Director in preparing the annual budget and controlling costs.
- Reports any accident, injury, or safety concerns to management and completes incident reports immediately
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide emergency coverage in this or other 2Life properties, as assigned
- Provide Back-Up Mechanic coverage in this or other 2Life properties, as assigned
- Maintains equipment in commercial kitchens in proper working order.
- Works with on-site construction superintendents and/or 2Life construction project management to provide information and resolve any building operations/maintenance issues arising from construction activity
- Works with the 2Life Senior Manager of Safety and Security on Life Safety and Hazardous Communications programs and documentation
- Performs additional duties, as assigned
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Minimum of three years of experience as a superintendent or supervisor in a residential building
- Ability to prioritize and delegate tasks, coach, and monitor staff
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organization skills
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations
- Proficiency in computer software for record-keeping, communicating and reporting
- Knowledge of elevators and high-rise building systems a must
- Working knowledge of high-efficiency boilers, heating plants, plumbing, heating, HVAC, blacksmithing, and electrical systems
- Knowledge of Green Initiatives
- Ability to learn photovoltaic system basic operation
- Experience with or ability to learn geothermal systems
- Ability to plan, create and utilize organized task management and communication tools
- Ability to obtain Hoisting License, drive Bobcat, Ventrac
- LEED certification desirable
- Supervises Maintenance Team
- Oversees work of outside service technicians.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Frequent standing and walking
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Ability to safely use hand and power tools
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, climb, etc. Must have full use of arms, hands, and finger dexterity to reach, lift, pull, push and feel.
- Ability to operate a Bobcat.
- Ability to work outdoors in winter conditions
- Ability to work in an environment under construction (noise, dust, etc.)
We encourage qualified candidates to apply here.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.