Position Title: Maintenance Mechanic I
Compensation: nonexempt, $22-24/hour based on experience
2Life Communities provides superior housing to older adults of all backgrounds who can thrive independently within a supportive environment. We are a mission-driven organization with a vision whereby all older adults have the opportunity to age in a community, to live a whole life of connection and purpose in a dynamic and supportive environment. Inspired by Jewish values, 2Life welcomes seniors from all backgrounds and enables aging in communities of engagement, connection, and purpose.
Join an organization that truly values its passionate, talented team. We’re committed to supporting your health and well-being and your professional development. We believe by making 2Life a great place to work, you can focus on making 2Life a great place to live for our seniors.
Here at 2Life, we also offer a very rich benefit plan which for individuals adds 27% on top of the base pay and over 30% for employee +1 and families. Our rewards program includes but not limited to:
- Robust medical and dental plan
- Employer-paid life and AD&D, STD, and LTD insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Paid vacation
- Paid holidays
- 2 floating holidays
- And more!
The Maintenance Mechanic I (MMI) is responsible for general maintenance, including but not limited to carpentry, flooring repairs, electrical, and plumbing that does not require a license, patching, painting, appliance repair, grounds work including snow removal, unit inspections, construction monitoring, room setups for events, and sheetrock repair. The MMI routinely runs preventive maintenance diagnostic tests to ensure equipment is functioning in compliance with OSHA and HUD mandates, environmental laws and, 2Life Communities standards of practice.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS*
- Responsible for performing general mechanical tasks, including minor electrical, plumbing, heating, and appliance repairs as assigned and allowed by local code in apartment units and common areas.
- Executes preventive maintenance and routine engineering checks in all mechanical and boiler rooms; maintains logs, work orders, and other required documentation.
- Performs daily/weekly walkthroughs of the entire building and grounds to observe, list, and report areas needing services and repairs and perform as scheduled or assigned.
- Prepares vacant apartments for new residents and refreshing apartment units as needed; patches, paints, repairs, and replaces cabinets, countertops, fixtures, and appliances
- Partners with 2Life’s Resident Service Teams to ensure building/unit integrity, safety, and compliance to inspection mandates.
- Carries out routine engineering checks in all mechanical and boiler rooms as scheduled or assigned and maintains logs, work orders, and other documentation related to the same.
- Documents time in/time out or other tracking system functions on all work orders
- Maintains and supports the tracking of inventory control systems to ensure adequate supplies at all times
- Completes material requisitions according to 2Life standards
- Responds to medical and fire emergencies along with resident services staff
- Responsible for the safe removal of snow and ice
- Performs grounds maintenance duties, such as mowing, weeding, sweeping, and sanding
- Performs light carpentry and interior/exterior painting
- Ensures 2Life work practices are safe and in compliance with 2Life standards and government regulations at all times.
- Follows through with maintenance tasks required to maintain systems and aesthetics of building complex.
- Performs cleaning/janitorial duties when scheduled or assigned.
- The MM I is required to adhere to proper dress, in 2Life uniforms, at all times during scheduled hours of operation
- Must be available to respond when assigned to evening, weekend, and holiday emergency coverage for emergency mechanical/technical services that cannot be handled by Site Reps as scheduled or assigned by their supervisor. (Rotating responsibility with other team members)
- The MM I is responsible for reporting all unsafe practices observed to management to help ensure 2Life work practice is safe and compliant with company standards.
- Participates in corporate training and workshops and attending external training opportunities to keep skills updated and current or to learn new maintenance skills deemed necessary by your supervisor.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts orientation for new and/ existing employees on maintenance tasks
- Coordinate and set up rooms for meetings and activities, including tracking all electronics, including microphones, monitors, TVs, and DVDs
- Patrols parking lot and tags unauthorized vehicles
- Provides contractors and vendors with service access to mechanical areas and apartments, as needed
- May rotate as building mechanic to other 2Life buildings, as assigned.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Post-secondary technical training preferred
- Knowledge of building trades, mechanics, and building maintenance
- Knowledge of plumbing, heating, HVAC, and electrical systems.
- Must have at least two years of hands-on experience
- Proficient in problem-solving skills, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fundamental skills in math
- Hoisting License preferred
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills
- Ability to make repairs not requiring a license
- Ability to work as part of a team required
- Proficiency in English
- Skilled in the use of mobile devices, computers, and computerized systems, including email, work orders, and record-keeping systems
- High comfort level with order adults ranging in age from approximately 62 to 102 years of age
- Experience with high-efficiency boilers and heating plants
- Willingness to learn about the essential operation of photovoltaic systems and co-generation systems is preferred.
- Proficient interior painter
- Valid Massachusetts’ driver’s license required
- Must be able to operate hand and power tools safely
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Frequent standing and walking
- Ability to frequently lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, and climb. Must have full use of arms, hands, and finger dexterity to reach, lift, pull, push and feel.
- Ability to operate a Bobcat
- Ability to work outdoors in winter conditions
We encourage qualified candidates to apply here.
2Life Communities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to inclusive excellence and strives to create the finest affordable housing in the world through the collaboration of diverse, talented individuals. We encourage women, people of color, and applicants from the LGBTQIA+ community to apply.
The above statements intend to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to do this job. The above does not intend to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.