Position Title: Maintenance Mechanic Date: December 2020
Reports To: Maintenance Mechanic III FLSA Classification: Nonexempt
2Life Communities provides superior housing to older adults of all backgrounds who can thrive independently within a supportive environment. We are a mission driven organization with a vision whereby all older adults have the opportunity to age in community – to live a full life of connection and purpose in a dynamic and supportive environment. We are continually evolving support services to meet the needs of our diverse resident as they age; we partner with health care providers to identify innovative ways to support residents’ overall health and well-being; and we engage with the broader community through our Village Center program. We have four campuses in metropolitan Boston and plans for additional housing for older adults in the near future.
Performs general maintenance including, but not limited to, carpentry, flooring repairs, electrical, and plumbing that does not require a license, patching, painting, appliance repair, grounds work including snow removal, unit inspections, construction monitoring, room setups for events, and sheetrock repair. Conducts preventive maintenance routines for diagnostic tests and performs repair and equipment maintenance functions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS*
- Performs general mechanical tasks including minor electrical, plumbing, heating and appliance repairs as assigned and allowed by local code in apartment units as well as common areas.
- Performs preventive maintenance and routine engineering checks in all mechanical and boiler rooms; maintains logs, work orders and other required documentation.
- Performs daily/weekly walkthroughs of entire building and grounds to observe, list and report areas in need of services and/or repairs, and performs services and/or repairs as scheduled or assigned.
- Prepares vacant apartments for new residents and refreshing apartment unit as needed; patches, paints, repairs, and/or replaces cabinets, countertops, fixtures, appliances, etc.
- Performs unit inspections, in tandem with Resident Service Teams, to ensure building/unit integrity, safety, and compliance to inspection mandates.
- Performs routine engineering checks in all mechanical and boiler rooms as scheduled or assigned, and maintains logs, work orders and other documentation as they relate to same.
- Documents time in/time out or other tracking system functions on all work orders.
- Maintains and supports the tracking of inventory control systems to ensure adequate supplies at all times.
- Completes materials requisitions according to 2Life standards.
- Responds to medical and fire emergencies along with Resident Services staff.
- Performs snow removal.
- Performs grounds maintenance duties, such as mowing, weeding, sweeping, and sanding.
- Performs light carpentry and interior/exterior painting.
- Ensures 2Life work practices are safe and in compliance with 2Life standards and government regulations at all times.
- Performs maintenance tasks required to maintain systems and aesthetics of building complex.
- Performs cleaning/janitorial duties when scheduled or assigned.
- Is responsible for proper dress, in 2Life uniforms, at all times.
- May provide evening, weekend and holiday emergency coverage for emergency mechanical/technical services that cannot be handled by Site Reps as scheduled or assigned by his/her supervisor. (Rotating responsibility with other team members.)
- Reports all unsafe practices observed to management to help ensure 2Life work practice are safe and in compliance with company standards.
- Participates in organizational trainings/workshops as well as attending external training opportunities to keep skills updated and current or to learn new maintenance skills deemed necessary by your supervisor.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts orientation for new and/or existing employees on maintenance tasks.
- Coordinate and/or set up rooms for meetings and activities – including tracking of all electronics including microphones, TVs, DVDs, etc.
- Patrols parking lot and tags unauthorized vehicles.
- Provides contractors and vendors with service access to mechanical areas and apartments, as needed.
- May rotate as building mechanic to other 2Life buildings, as assigned.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- High School diploma. Post-secondary technical training preferred.
- Strong commitment and dedication to individual scheduling expectations and ensuring on time performance standards are met
- Knowledge of building trades, mechanics, and/or building maintenance.
- Knowledge of plumbing, heating, HVAC, and electrical systems.
- Must have at least two years of hands-on experience
- Strong problem solving skills, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Basic math skills preferred.
- Hoisting License preferred.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Ability to make repairs not requiring a license.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and as part of team.
- Fluent in English.
- Proficiency in use of computers and computerized systems, including email, work order and record keeping systems.
- Comfortable working with older adults.
- Experience with high efficiency boilers and heating plants.
- Willingness to learn about basic operation of photovoltaic systems and co-generation systems preferred.
- Proficient interior painter.
- Valid Massachusetts’ driver’s license.
- Must be able to safely use hand and power tools, etc.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Frequent standing and walking.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to safely use hand and power tools.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, climb, etc. Must have full use of arms, hands and finger dexterity to reach, lift, pull, push and feel.
- Ability to operate a Bobcat.
- Ability to work outdoors in winter conditions
Here at 2Life, we also offer a very rich benefit plan which for individuals adds 27% on top of the base pay and over 30% for employee +1 and families. Our rewards program includes but not limited to:
- Robust medical and dental plan
- Employer-paid life and AD&D, STD, and LTD insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Three weeks paid vacation
- 12 paid holidays
- 2 floating holidays
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
2Life Communities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to inclusive excellence and strives to create the finest affordable housing in the world through the collaboration of diverse, talented individuals. We encourage women, people of color, and applicants from the LGBTQI+ community to apply.