The Boston Housing Authority (BHA) selected 2Life to redevelop the J.J. Carroll Apartments in June 2019, following a competitive Request for Proposals. Since the designation, 2Life has begun working with J.J. Carroll residents and BHA on a plan to replace the existing buildings with a new building that is more comfortable, energy efficient, and accessible, including universal design and adaptability features that aim to enable residents to stay in their apartments as their physical needs change.
Highlights of the 2Life J.J. Carroll Redevelopment Proposal
- Construct up to 150 apartments – replacing the existing 64 apartments, preserving tenancy for existing J.J. Carroll residents, and creating additional new affordable homes for older adults
- All apartments affordable to households earning up to 60% of the Area Median Income ($49,800 for a one-person household and $56,880 for a two-person household, as of 2019) with additional subsidies for many apartments to serve households up to 50% AMI
- Integration with 2Life’s Brighton Campus including access to all its programs, services and community spaces
- Universal design and adaptable features in every apartment and throughout the development
- Approximately 10,000 square feet for a healthcare tenant, potentially PACE—Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly—a unique program that helps people ages 55 and older with community-based health and home care services
- Building and site design that is responsive to the neighborhood, including public open space and the potential for active uses along Chestnut Hill Avenue
Community and resident engagement is underway with an expected Article 80 permit filing in Fall 2019.
To subscribe to project updates, please enter your contact information below. For other questions, please contact Rachel Belanger, (617) 912-8464.