The Boston Housing Authority (BHA) selected 2Life to redevelop the J.J. Carroll Apartments in June 2019, following a competitive Request for Proposals. Since the designation, 2Life has been working closely with J.J. Carroll residents and BHA on a plan to replace the existing buildings with a new building that is more comfortable, energy efficient, and accessible, including universal design and adaptability features that aim to enable residents to stay in their apartments as their physical needs change.
Highlights of the 2Life J.J. Carroll Redevelopment Proposal
- Construct approximately 142 apartments – replacing the existing 64 apartments (all current J.J. Carroll residents will be temporarily relocated during construction and will be invited to return to the redeveloped property), and creating additional new affordable homes for older adults
- All apartments will be affordable to households earning up to 60% of the Area Median Income ($53,760 for a one-person household and $61,440 for a two-person household, as of 2020) with additional subsidies for many apartments to serve households up to 50% AMI
- Integration with 2Life’s Brighton Campus including access to all its programs, services and community spaces
- Universal design and adaptable features in every apartment and throughout the development
- Approximately 11,000 square feet for a Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) Center — a unique healthcare program, targeted to frail low-income people ages 55 and older, with community-based health and home care services
- Building and site design that is responsive to the neighborhood, including public open space and neighborhood-oriented retail near Chestnut Hill Avenue
The J.J. Carroll Redevelopment received Article 80 approval from the Boston Planning and Development Agency board on February 13, 2020. More information is available here:
All relocation from the J.J. Carroll Apartments was completed by the end of 2020.
To subscribe to project updates, please enter your contact information below. For other questions, please contact Lisa Kozol, firstname.lastname@example.org.