Position Title: Part-time Computer Center Instructor
Reports To: Resident Technology and Training Coordinator
2Life Communities provides superior housing to older adults of all backgrounds who can thrive independently within a supportive environment. We are a mission-driven organization with a vision whereby all older adults have the opportunity to age in the community – to live a life of connection and purpose in a dynamic and supportive environment. We are continually evolving support services to meet our diverse resident's needs as they age; we partner with health care providers to identify innovative ways to support residents' overall health and well-being. We engage with the broader community through our Village Center program. We have five campuses in metropolitan Boston and plans for additional housing for older adults soon.
In this temporary, part-time role, the Computer Center Instructor acts as a resident-centered technology resource across all 2Life campuses supporting older adults to connect virtually, engage in lifelong learning and reduce social isolation and loneliness. This individual reports to the Resident Technology and Training Coordinator, ensuring that all resident devices are user-friendly and accessible to all 2Life residents, including those with visual or cognitive decline and non-English speakers. The Computer Center Instructor must have fluency in Mandarin, Cantonese, and English. This position will remain filled until the end of June 2021.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS*
- Provide tech support to residents in the Chinese-speaking community (Mandarin and Cantonese) across all 2Life campuses
- Assist residents with various inquiries about all types of electronic devices, both borrowed and personal, such as laptops, desktops, iPads, smartphones, and printers, in person and virtually
- Support campus Device Libraries and user experiences as needed
- Help monitor the Brighton, Golda Meir House, Brown Family, Coleman House, and Shillman House Computer Centers
- Keep and track Center attendance
- Supervise the use of computer equipment during lab hours
- Plan and teach Chinese-language computer classes tailored to different user groups
- Assist beginner or advanced users with their computer problems during open access hours
- Report hardware and software issues to supervisor and update with supply orders
- Maintain standards of resident confidentiality in all work
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform other related duties as assigned
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Fluent in speaking and writing in Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) and English languages required
- Bachelor's Degree in Education or Computer Science preferred but not required
- Extensive knowledge of Windows Operating System
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office and other industry applications
- Knowledge of relevant internet platforms including Zoom, WeChat, Skype, Facebook, YouTube, Google, email
- Knowledge of pertinent hardware including, but not limited to, Chromebooks, iPads, tablets, laptops, desktops, smartphones, and printers
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Patience in dealing with older adults
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Normal office environment
We encourage qualified candidates to apply here.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.