Golda Meir House currently has 199 apartments and a beautiful new “Village Center” with common spaces such as a dining room, library, computer center, store, salon, and fitness center, all renovated in 2017 and 2018 as part of a complete modernization of the property.
The proposed expansion includes:
- Two additions connecting the new units on every floor to the existing building
- 68 new apartments, which will be affordable to seniors with a range of incomes (a mix of 1 and 2 bedrooms)
- Nine apartments designated for chronically homeless individuals, with supportive services provided by Hearth, Inc. in collaboration with 2Life staff
- A new ADA-accessible entrance from the upper parking lot
- A reconfigured parking lot with approximately 29 additional parking spaces
- Improved outdoor spaces and gardens
- 2Life Communities will be collaborating with an area university on a graduate student "scholar in residence" program
The additions will be seamlessly integrated with the management and operations of the existing Golda Meir House with access to award-winning programs and supportive services. The Golda Meir House “Village Center” not only combats isolation for our residents, but welcomes community members to take part in programming.
Over 5,000 households in Newton are paying over 30 percent of their income for their housing costs, the definition of cost-burdened.
- “Newton Leads 2040” Housing Strategy (June 2016)
In addition to creating much-needed affordable housing, the Golda Meir House expansion will create new opportunities for aging in community in Newton. UMass Boston’s January 2018 report “Newton Older Adults” found that approximately 17 percent of Newton residents are age 65 or older and this is projected to increase to 24 percent by 2030. Of these community members over 65, 27.7 percent are living alone and 8.5 percent have an income below the poverty level.
The Golda Expansion is expected to be complete in late 2022. Applications for the new apartments will be available and a lottery will be held several months before the end of construction. Sign up here to receive a notification when the application period opens: